WOW THIS JUST MADE MY DAY GUYS .!!!!!
What the fuck?
there is legit fear in simon’s eyes
Ok, who’s calling the Ministry to report this breech of the International Statute of Secrecy?
He’s like, “What happened here? Am I in danger?”
“America has one wizarding school.” JKR, please. America spans nine time zones and we can’t even agree on whether there should be sugar in tea or what we should call those beverages made from carbonated flavored water.
So, thanks to a really hectic week and a minor meltdown, I didn’t get as much done as I wanted and managed to add several new things to the pile, so let’s try this again…
- Work Stuff
- Read the next four chapters of the textbook so you’re actually ready to teach them.
- Come up with lesson plan ideas for the next week of class.
- Fix the damned schedule you fucked up writing and send it to the class.
- (Seriously, how the fuck did I do that? I CHECKED THE THING TEN TIMES. *headdesk*)
- Post the mini-lesson rubric.
- Get an attendance spreadsheet together.
- School stuff
- Respond to advisor’s email.
- Stat class
- Teach yourself how to do factor analysis.
- Do the stats analysis for your paper.
- Write paper.
- Write presentation.
Tell prof to go screw herself. OK, NOT REALLY, BUT AT LEAST I GOT TO RANT TO THE PROGRAM DIRECTOR ABOUT HER LAST NIGHT AND A I FEEL A BIT BETTER NOW.
- Lit Review Class from last summer session
- Finish first section.
- Write second section.
- QP stuff
- Register for QP class for the fall
- Write QP abstract and send to advisor.
- Once approved, write QPP.
- Once approved, write QP.
- Independent study
- Register for class for the fall
- Read “Thinking Fast and Slow”
- Write papers.
- Adulting Stuff
- Email shoe company to let them know what you want to do about the shoes.
- Send 2015 tax info to other insurance.
- Open your fucking mail. It’s piling up.
- The pile ‘o’ clothes is reaching scary heights, again. PUT IT AWAY, ALREADY.
- Fun stuff
- Write story for PR Femslash Ficathon.
- Answer trailing writing meme asks.
- Check on your garden.
- Make plans with dad and with Karen to see ST.
- Back up your tumblr to a WordPress
- Get your queue sorted, already. It’s a mess.
…it’s a bit pathetic that those last two legitimately fall under the ‘fun’ category. It’s a bit pathetic that half the time these days ‘fun’ = ‘things that might bright my stress level down just a hair’ instead of things that are actually fun. 😛
italics – the things I absolutely have to get done this weekend
…yeah, this weekend is going to SUCK. *headdesk*
Mrs. Santos- Call me Helen. You make me sound like a grandmother,
or a shop teacher, or the grandmother of a shop teacher.
1. Don’t make the centerpiece of the story about a boarding school. If you’re white you probably don’t know this but, boarding schools were used to genocide Natives for centuries.
2. Bother to do some research on the cultures you’re trying to write about. Natives are not simple. They are complex and deep. In some ways much more so than the European colonizers.
3. Natives had the most advanced and sophisticated government structures in the world at the time. International war laws, reverse hierarchical federalized democracies, independent economic entities, the clan systems, the most expansive road and trade networks in the world, the list goes on just do some reading.
4. Don’t diminish or dismiss the natives as backward or simple in the fiction either. JKR decided that natives don’t use wands for magic and stuff because they don’t do specific or focused magic, that’s racist nonsense.
5. Natives would do some wild shit like Onondaga fire magic or Aztec surgical stuff. There were Mixtec oracles and mystics who cut the flesh from their face and replaced it with gems, that shit is metal.
6. The wand thing could be replaced with turquoise gem totems, or obsidian magic knives or some shit like that. Taking the tools away from them is dehumanizing imagery.
7. Don’t mess around with pipes or anything like that. You’re white JKR, you’re white.
8. If you have a character run away into the woods in Massachusetts, she is gonna run right into Native cities. Don’t pretend that America is this open uninhabited nature reserve. That wasn’t true and it is racist.
9. Don’t pretend that American societies are going to be as backward and prejudiced as other places. Most American languages didn’t have gendered pronouns. American cultures did not have the institutional patriarchal bullshit or homophobia. We would probably be pretty accepting of people that could do magic.
10. There should be magical clans… that sounds dope.
11. There should be magical schools already and there could be a really cool plot about protecting them from the Spanish and the English.
12. They should not be schools as much as campus communities, workshops instead of classes. The predecessors to the Cherokee would create communities and give them a purpose, which was a practice common throughout North America. There would be a half-dozen school the size of massive cities centered around dope pyramids like Cahokia.
13. Magic using medicine men would come to villages to teach the citizens that couldn’t leave or something like that.
14. Instead of skinwalkers which are too specific and appropriationy, try something like the Witiko, which is about cannibalism and evil deeds freezing your heart or something (fluctuates according to region). Could very easily be related to evil magic users.
15. The basic thing I think is to do some research and maybe ask some natives before you try shit like this.
To be clear for some white people who think I’m being sensitive or something. First off, fuck you, the second thing is JK Rowling is trying to make a shit ton of money with this. And she will so she should at least not contribute to the immolation and genocide of Native peoples at the same time.
As promised, resources!
To crosspost to Dreamwidth from Tumblr using IFTT (this has been around a while, but IFTT requires programming skills I didn’t have, so it’s nice someone actually assembled the program for me)
To import an entire Tumblr to WordPress (For archival purposes primarily)
I feel like people maybe flipped out a little more than necessary, so I want to remind everyone that Yahoo tends to beat websites to death and then leave their corpses in the street – Del.icio.us was an anomaly in that respect – so it’s not like Tumblr’s going to disappear tomorrow. If Yahoo sells Tumblr we’ll hear about it first and have time to take appropriate measures.
(Who the fuck would buy Tumblr? Microsoft. Microsoft, owner of Bing, would buy Tumblr.)
That said, BACKING STUFF UP IS A GOOD IDEA. BACK UP YOUR SHIT. DO IT, LISTEN TO YOUR INTERNET FATHER. You know when I learned this? When in 2008 my livejournal was hacked and I lost five years of my life. I resurrected about 80%, and you know where that 80% came from? Google cache, Archive.org, and notification emails people happened to have saved. BACKUPS. And even then I had to copy and paste every post and repost it backdated. It took me eight months.
When del.icio.us was sold, data was lost, but more importantly, the data that remained had to be moved, which was when I discovered that about a quarter of the fanfics I’d bookmarked were now deleted, locked, or otherwise missing (this was pre-AO3 but fanfics can be deleted from AO3, and they can be deleted from Tumblr). I rescued a few from archive.org but I also lost a good number, which is why I use Evernote to archive not just the URLs but the stories themselves.
No technology is infallible, unhackable, virus-proof, or incorruptible. Back up your hard drive, or at least the parts with your favorite music and family photos. Back up your tumblr, or at least the entries that are important to you. Love that fanfic? Save a copy of it.
You know what happens to people who don’t back up their shit? They get sanctimonious but ultimately correct lectures from Reed Richards.
BACK YOURSELF UP. LEARN FROM TONY STARK.