oh, it REALLY is
like, everyone knows Combeferre is ridiculously knowledgeable about everything. And of COURSE Grantaire can do quotes and citations from every book and article he’s read since he was 12, it’s kinda spooky.
But everyone forgets about Bossuet. Everyone forgets he can and does engage everybody in conversation all the time about whatever they’re into, he’s an easygoing guy, he lets other people go on about their interests, and he listens, and he remembers, and now he’s kicking everyone’s ass at this game by your powers combined.
They’re doing it in teams, and somehow they all end up on the same side. It’s a bloodbath.
it happened once. ONLY ONCE. Now they are Not Allowed to be on the same team, and also they have to have on their team at least one (1) of the following players, for balance : Enjolras, Feuilly, Marius, or Joly* (who are of course all terrifyingly smart, but with a much narrower focus of interests than the game really rewards)
Also, following the Great Boardgame Bloodbath of 1829, Joly and Bossuet are Not Allowed to be on the same team, in any game, ever.
*Joly WOULD have a much wider range of interests, but : Med School. He weeps for all the popular entertainment he’s not having time for these days.
↳ les amis → combeferre
“…to cause constellations of victories to flash forth at each instant from the zenith of the centuries, to make the French Empire a pendant to the Roman Empire, to be the great nation and to give birth to the grand army, to conquer the world twice, by conquest and by dazzling, that is sublime; and what greater thing is there?’
‘To be free’, said Combeferre.”
those who barely missed becoming historic: combeferre
In short, he desired neither halt nor haste. While his tumultuous friends, captivated by the absolute, adored and invoked splendid revolutionary adventures, Combeferre was inclined to let progress, good progress, take its own course; he may have been cold, but he was pure; methodical, but irreproachable; phlegmatic, but imperturbable. Combeferre would have knelt and clasped his hands to enable the future to arrive in all its candor, and that nothing might disturb the immense and virtuous evolution of the races. The good must be innocent, he repeated incessantly.
- Spending sleepless nights on the roof, talking about space and mythology and aliens
- Grantaire helping Combeferre study anatomy because it’s interesting and useful in exchange for help on his math homework
- Ferre allowing himself to be dragged out to parties he normally wouldn’t attend because Grantaire is going and is by himself and SOMEONE has to make sure that man makes it home in one piece
- Constantly sharing sci-fi/fantasy books
- Star Trek and Lord of the Rings marathons
- They pass notes in Elvish during meetings, and it’s SO frustrating
- Combeferre tried to one-up Grantaire once by writing Black Speech (orc) in Elvish script and got back “You fool no one” in Nordic runes
- They poured hours into the structure of the Ancient Language from Eragon to make it a functional form of communication
- Grantaire is a dirty memer, and so is Courfeyrac. They go back and forth all the time. Grantaire whispered “here come dat boi” when Enjolras walked in one day, and Combeferre scared the shit out of him because no one was expecting the “o shit whaddup” to come from him.
- “Just because” experiments because Combeferre will do a lot of things ~for science~ and Grantaire is more than ready to get involved in something fun and potentially risky
- “Grantaire, what fucking Hogwarts house do you belong in?” “Which one do you think I belong in?” “Stop doDGING THE QUESTION”
rays of light peeked
through the gap in the curtains to illuminate the face
of the man who was more accustomed to moonlight than the early summer
sun. he grunted and pulled the duvet covers over his head, only to
pull them down again a moment later as the smell of freshly brewed
coffee floated in from the open door. grantaire, bleary-eyed and
yawning, made his way to the kitchen. it was cool and calm in the early morning haze and coffee and paint stains adorned the vintage worktops. grantaire smiled softly as combeferre
kissed him good morning – combeferre never did mind grantaire’s
early morning stubble. grantaire rest his head on combeferre’s
shoulder and combeferre wrapped his arms around his boyfriend’s waist
in return, cuddling him tightly.
Combeferre being a very private person and Courfeyrac knowing it. So when they start dating, Courf keeps it rather quiet so as not to alarm him though he’d rather scream it to the Heavens. Well, one day Courf and Ferre run into Ferre’s sister unexpectedly and Ferre’s like “this is Courfeyrac.” Court thinks he hasn’t told her they’re dating when she hugs him and goes “So YOU’RE the boyfriend he never shuts up about. Getting a bit annoying, I think our mother may strangle him.“
And Courf just takes Combeferre’s hand and smiles like the sunshine he is.
Courfeyrac : listen, i can’t pretend my relationship is perfect okay?
Courfeyrac : because i don’t need to pretend anything
Courfeyrac : it is
Courfeyrac : courf out.
Courfeyrac : *high fives Combeferre*
“Jehan,” says Combeferre, surrounded by two microscopes, five piles of books, more papers, three unfinished tea cups, one of coffee that’s empty, and a suspicious box making suspicious noises. “It’s late, you should really go to sleep.”
“Combeferre,” answers Jehan patiently. “It’s morning. I did went to sleep. Six hours ago. The first time you told me to do it.”
Combeferre glances at the window. The sun is quite up in the sky.
“Oh,” he says. And then, faintly, pensively. “I do wonder if it is possible i went on a trance – i have a book somewhere on missing moments i had bought for Enjolras…”