Les Mis fandom where did Floreal come from like I’m so confused
She’s the woman Grantaire is talking about during one of his (long) rants, during Preliminary Gayeties! As Grantaire says:
I met a pretty girl of my acquaintance, who is as beautiful as the spring, worthy to be called Floreal, and who is delighted, enraptured, as happy as the angels, because a wretch yesterday, a frightful banker all spotted with small-pox, deigned to take a fancy to her! Alas! woman keeps on the watch for a protector as much as for a lover; cats chase mice as well as birds. Two months ago that young woman was virtuous in an attic, she adjusted little brass rings in the eyelet-holes of corsets, what do you call it? She sewed, she had a camp bed, she dwelt beside a pot of flowers, she was contented. Now here she is a bankeress. This transformation took place last night. I met the victim this morning in high spirits. The hideous point about it is, that the jade is as pretty to-day as she was yesterday. Her financier did not show in her face. Roses have this advantage or disadvantage over women, that the traces left upon them by caterpillars are visible. (Hapgood translation)
So we never meet her, exactly, but we hear a lot about her– she’s a working woman who makes a living setting the eyelets in corsets, who’s currently dating a banker. (Grantaire disapproves, and is pretty gross about doing so, but literally no one asked you, Grantaire.)
SLIGHTLY GROSS INFO BELOW CUT
- Grantaire knows Irma Boissy well-enough that she’s personally offended by his ugliness.
- Grantaire, at the end of his first big rant, is the one noticing Louison showing up and says “Ah, c’est toi Louison. Bonjour.”
- Grantaire talks about meeting Floréal and disapproving of her new beau.
- Grantaire, albeit in manner that is very displeasing, interacts with Matelote and Gibelote.
- Since Grantaire, Joly and Bossuet are best friends, it’s not a far stretch to say that R knows Musichetta.
R is part of the lady!club and i love it so much.