“Oh wow. This costs more than I did back when I had a price tag.”
OH MY GOD.
This is so beautiful that I immediately want to use it, but I’m gonna be good because that is called being polite.
(OMG this is beautiful, especially since Obi-Wan is sitting there: “Qui-Gon paid too much; he should have put you back,” completely deadpan, while everyone else just stares in HORROR until Anakin starts laughing.)
((Nope, laughter did not fix, still staring in horror.))
That is the most accurate sentence I have ever read.
“You really should sleep more” he tells a tired Enjolras who finished his paper last night at 2am, while holding a triple shot espresso himself (Combeferre was awake the whole night reading up on articles on the internet)
“Maybe you should take a day off and sleep in” he suggests to the constantly overworked Feuilly ( Combeferre doesn’t even know what a day off is)
After a while Courf just snaps “YOU HAVE BEEN AWAKE FOR 30 HOURS YOU BLOODY HYPOCRITE GO GET SOME SLEEP OR SO HELP ME GOD”
Ferre ends up sleeping in until like 1pm and crawls into the kitchen with the most adorable bedhead. Courf decides then and there he needs to send Ferre to bed on time because this is just unacceptable.
A couple nights ago, @robertawickham and I were complaining that Hugo took so much from Charles Jeanne’s story to make his Ideal Barricade Hero (Enjolras) and then class-bent him to be a bourgeois student, instead of the working-class guy Jeanne actually was.
And then we realized Hugo doesn’t ..actually say… Enjolras is a STUDENT. Just “an only son and wealthy”. And he LOOKS like a student (a ‘college escapee’) but that’s in the same sentence that claims he looks like a pageboy and we’re all pretty sure he’s not that. And hey, workers can BE wealthy! Class often correlated with income (very often) but it wasn’t dependent on that; it was dependent on what sort of work a person did– manual labor was working-class, intellectual labor was bourgeoisie, to oversimplify a ridiculously complicated social strata. So after like five minutes of shouting TO HECK WITH YOUR CLASS ISSUES, HUGO, WE’RE TAKING ENJOLRAS BACK FOR THE WORKERS we realized we…needed a plausible profession?
@amarguerite mentioned that printers could, depending on their job and position, be quite wealthy, and gave us a bunch of wonderful details and info which are included under the cut. And lo, IT IS GOLD. All of it goes together to make Enjolras being the wealthy only son of print-shop owning family work SO WELL?!?
A SMALL AND ONLY PARTIAL list of the ways that Enjolras being the son of a printshop-owner makes Everything Better and Nothing Worse
-As a printer Enjolras is a logical point of connection for many interest groups; people need printing done! I cannot even believe how easy this makes plothooks!
-Also as a printer, Enjolras would be in a position to earn trust very quickly, despite his age and appearance, by printing illicit materials, serving as a message center, and so on.
-Wealthy or not, he likely wouldn’t have the formal education needed to be student; but he would have access to a lot of books and a professional advantage in learning what he could. This explains his occasional slips with Latin and the like, as well as why he’s apparently managed to get an education that so much inspires his Republican convictions–he chose his own reading material, apart from the standardized curriculum.
– He WOULD be in a position to have the kind of knowledge we see him display in Enjolras and His Lieutenants–awareness of who’s ramping up their revolutionary discussions, who’s getting cold feet, what the general mood of the radical groups in the city are. He’d know because THEY WOULD TELL HIM, with the kind of work they give him and how often and what the tone of it is. He’s as close to an internet hub as they’ve got. A GREAT person to help organize your activist group!
– Printers, whatever their more abstract politics, could hardly help knowing and caring about the various censorship and speech laws, which directly affected their business. A printshop owning family wouldn’t have to totally support Enjolras in his more dramatic views to agree with him taking dramatic action, especially in 1830; but they could still like Louis-Philippe, be more conservative– or very radical! So many options! (more on this under the cut)
– Printshop culture generally leaned heavily on the sort of jokes and teasing and goofing around the Amis are seen to love, and narratively applauded for, at least equally an evolution of working-class culture (which it really should be) as of student culture (which it still would be!)
– but as an expected heir and future manager of the shop he’d still be used to interacting with bourgeois clients and businesses! And probably dress quite well when out of the shop, in a subdued, professional way.
-Gavroche is mentioned as doing the occasional odd bit of work in a printshop. If anyone wants, this gives a really easy hook for Gavroche and Enjolras’ interactions at the barricade.
– Wait! (I panic.) Isn’t Feuilly the only workingman in this group of students?? **checks**! Wait, no, Hugo doesn’t actually say that! He only says that Feuilly IS a worker. Enjolras ALSO being a worker takes away nothing from Feuilly; a wealthy shop-owner’s only child and obvious heir will have dramatically more advantages than an orphan. But it does acknowledge that the working class wasn’t a homogenous block or single sort of life experience.
-Enjolras and Feuilly’s relationship is so much more interesting this way?? and it stops Feuilly being the Token Worker in a city full of workers in a worker-led movement. Seriously, Hugo, screw your class issues so much.
-I have an excuse to draw Enjolras in a printer’s apron with his sleeves up. :Like, ALWAYS. That is SO what I’m doing today.
Below the cut: Longer discussion and more explanation, and some Q&A with Amarguerite (shared with permission!) for the use of anyone else who wants to adopt this headcanon/alternate reading! (please consider sharing this headcanon it’s so great I am so happy right now) Warning: VERY LONG.
We know how Marius was introduced to les amis, but we don’t know how the others got involved. So you can’t prove to me that Combeferre and Courfeyrac meeting at a kissing booth wasn’t what Hugo had in mind as a backstory.
a list of things cosette likes:
- fancy coloring books and gel pens
- watching vlogs from her favorite youtubers
- family traditions with valjean
- introducing marius, who never had any traditions with his grandfather, to all of her favorite traditions with her papa
- visiting the ocean, leaving her shoes behind, and running through the sand because it’s too hot beneath her toes to stay in one place for longer than a second
- shopping with her friends
- meeting marius’ friends and making them her friends, too
- eating jellybeans
- talking joly out for tea
- wearing rain boots, even if it isn’t raining out
- going “camping” in the living room on winter nights, complete with sleeping bags and disney movies and a fire in the fireplace
- midnight movie premiers
- taking photos
- saying hello to dogs on the street
Bossuet gets arrested for trying to break into his own apartment after he locks himself out. (He can’t prove to the cops that he lives there because his wallet is on the kitchen counter next to his keys.) Joly shows up with bail, but Bossuet isn’t ready to leave yet because he’s made friends with his cellmate, Jeff, and Jeff was just telling him the story of how he wound up in here (public intoxication, a police horse, and several bottles of temporary hair color), and “come on, Joly, have a seat here by the bars.” So a few hours later Bahorel’s wondering what’s taking them so long, and he walks into the police station and finds the three of them sitting on the floor exchanging Wacky Adventure Stories, and he’s just like, “Oh, hey, I see you’ve met Jeff.”
I let out a very soft gasp
#‘its experiences’ did you mean:#poe dameron awake at 4AM singing BB-8 songs he makes up as he goes#poe dameron running back into a firefight to save a disabled BB-8 from certain destruction (sustaining a shoulder wound)#poe dameron speaking in binary even though BB-8 tells him he sounds absurdly stupid#poe
dameron sewing a little hole into all his tents so that BB-8 can charge
next to him while he sleeps even when they’re on recon missions#poe dameron referring to BB-8 as ‘my friend’ and making sure his programming equips him to fully understand what that means#poe dameron always asking BB-8 to do what he needs instead of ordering it#poe dameron rewriting the astromech default programming that would force BB-8 to call him master#poe dameron rebuilding BB-8 by hand himself whenever BB-8 gets damaged#and keeping his hard drive and his audio sensors live so he can reassure BB-8 as he goes that it’s all going fine#IS THAT WHAT YOU MEANT BY ‘EXPERIENCES’#DID YOU MEAN ‘POE DAMERON’#because that’s what BB-8 would mean#‘strong loyalty subprogram’ is one way to put it#‘loves poe dameron right back’ is another (via @gyzym)
Joly, Bossuet, and Grantaire lose a bet to the rest of Les Amis and they have to talk in puns 24/7, around Les Amis or not, in university or at work or not.
Losing this bet makes no difference to their speech patterns whatsoever.
Combeferre, drenching a chocolate cookie in Red Bull: Y’all gotta eat healthy, especially during exam period. Stay hydrated.