oh, it REALLY is
like, everyone knows Combeferre is ridiculously knowledgeable about everything. And of COURSE Grantaire can do quotes and citations from every book and article he’s read since he was 12, it’s kinda spooky.
But everyone forgets about Bossuet. Everyone forgets he can and does engage everybody in conversation all the time about whatever they’re into, he’s an easygoing guy, he lets other people go on about their interests, and he listens, and he remembers, and now he’s kicking everyone’s ass at this game by your powers combined.
They’re doing it in teams, and somehow they all end up on the same side. It’s a bloodbath.
it happened once. ONLY ONCE. Now they are Not Allowed to be on the same team, and also they have to have on their team at least one (1) of the following players, for balance : Enjolras, Feuilly, Marius, or Joly* (who are of course all terrifyingly smart, but with a much narrower focus of interests than the game really rewards)
Also, following the Great Boardgame Bloodbath of 1829, Joly and Bossuet are Not Allowed to be on the same team, in any game, ever.
*Joly WOULD have a much wider range of interests, but : Med School. He weeps for all the popular entertainment he’s not having time for these days.
if anyone can pull out the sword from the stone it’s feuilly
- Spending sleepless nights on the roof, talking about space and mythology and aliens
- Grantaire helping Combeferre study anatomy because it’s interesting and useful in exchange for help on his math homework
- Ferre allowing himself to be dragged out to parties he normally wouldn’t attend because Grantaire is going and is by himself and SOMEONE has to make sure that man makes it home in one piece
- Constantly sharing sci-fi/fantasy books
- Star Trek and Lord of the Rings marathons
- They pass notes in Elvish during meetings, and it’s SO frustrating
- Combeferre tried to one-up Grantaire once by writing Black Speech (orc) in Elvish script and got back “You fool no one” in Nordic runes
- They poured hours into the structure of the Ancient Language from Eragon to make it a functional form of communication
- Grantaire is a dirty memer, and so is Courfeyrac. They go back and forth all the time. Grantaire whispered “here come dat boi” when Enjolras walked in one day, and Combeferre scared the shit out of him because no one was expecting the “o shit whaddup” to come from him.
- “Just because” experiments because Combeferre will do a lot of things ~for science~ and Grantaire is more than ready to get involved in something fun and potentially risky
- “Grantaire, what fucking Hogwarts house do you belong in?” “Which one do you think I belong in?” “Stop doDGING THE QUESTION”
I kind of like the idea of and AU in which Les Mis is actually written by Marius. Like as he got older he just had an increasing amount of Feelings About Things and started obsessively researching his mysterious heroic father-in-law, as well as everybody else connected to him and Cosette.
So he traveled around the country interviewing people, looking through documents, checking locations etc. and finally wrote down his own interpretation of the events based on the things he found out or remembered. And because he’s Marius he couldn’t help but address various other things he’d become interested in (like sewers, argot, etc.) and some things he used to be interested in (Napoleon, Waterloo). He also became much more republican and much more conscious of social problems later in life so the book became increasingly about those things too.
… So I guess everything in Les Mis would be from an older Marius’s point of view in this universe. Honestly I think it might explain a lot.
“This is the story of How I Met Your Mother…. And how your grandfather stole a loaf of bread…”
Omg thank you for this addition.
cosette & feuilly & valjean family dynamics!
- i don’t know if cosette & feuilly are siblings by birth or found each other and were adopted around the same time (because they wouldn’t leave each other when valjean came for cosette -) I can’t decide I like both for different reasons.
- either WAY.
- they’re both giant Harry Potter nerds. the first few books in the series were Valjean’s first Christmas present to Feuilly, and Feuilly used to read them aloud to Cosette at night.
- they used to dress up as Harry and Hermione all the time. and dressed up Valjean as Dumbledore. It was like – the Halloween costume they went for every year, even if Halloween wasn’t really a Thing.
- Valjean also totally waited in line to buy the fifth book with Cosette, because Feuilly couldn’t – he had an exam to study for.
- One of Cosette and Feuilly’s biggest ‘conflicts’ as kids was when Cosette really got into pirates and Feuilly got really into space and they couldn’t agree on which is better or more fun.
- They don’t have this sort of thing were siblings/parents have to approve the new boyfriend/girlfriend/datemate, nor do they do the ‘overprotective’ speech, but if the new s.o. does ‘approve’ of the family, the chances of the relationship lasting are nil.
- Cosette has always been more adventurous than Feuilly – he’s curious, and wants to try things, but doesn’t go out of his ways to seek adventures the way Cosette does. He’ll follow her, though, and she always invited him to see art shows, concerts, on roadtrips. It’s not out of protectiveness on either side – she encourages him to branch out from his routine a little more and she’s glad for the company – but honestly it makes Valjean rests a little easier.
- Valjean just can’t help being a little anxious when it comes to his children’s safety – he knows things can get from good to terrible so quickly and he just wants them to be happy.
- and they just want him to be happy too, and even when he doesn’t go with them they’ll always send him postcards. even from the next town over.
- Valjean still has all of their drawings from when they were kids framed and in a drawer of his office.
- They definitely, definitely have dogs. They’re all dog people. The bigger to dog the best.
- ALL OF THEIR FAMILY PICTURES ARE EITHER SUPER DORKY AND SILLY or like, badly framed. Valjean can’t pick a favourite. They make Feuilly wince everytime because he knows photography and they’re terrible. but if he took the pictures he wouldn’t be in them and neither Valjean or Cosette would count it as a family photo.
23, Who comes up with cheesy pick up lines?
oh my god. Bossuet thinks about them on the spot – Joly always thinks about them too late/too slowly, and it’s frustrating to him, so, to compromise, they buy this notepad and put it on the fridge; Joly writes them whenever he thinks about them, leaving them for Bossuet to read when he wakes up in the morning. ❤
(2/2) It DOES get loud and crowded in the apartment sometimes though, so when Feuilly wants some peace and quiet he goes over to Enjolras’ house, or Prouvaire’s – they can tell when he just wants to have some space to think, and don’t mind a companionable silence. (They usually end up in big conversations eventually, anyway, but he gets that time to decompress first–and if he just falls asleep instead, neither of them minds at all.)
Ohhh! I had honestly NEVER considered this! I’ve wondered about Feuilly’s lodgings, because I don’t know a lot about how, realistically, a young worker making 3 francs or less per day would live, but this is lovely. It’s crowded, yeah, but it also explains how he actually has time for his political pursuits, if they cook for each other and stuff like – whatever few chores there must be.
And now I want to write fic about this! there’s a lot of aspects to this: how does the he feel sharing this space with a family, being a part of their lives but also – separate? How is he with the children ahhh that has such cute potential. But also like – is he worried about what his involvement on groups and politics might mean for them? after all, they are a family, concequences would be much bigger for them – or are they involved in some ways too?
did they look for him at the barricade, did it mean he actually did leave people behind
y’all know how i never shut up about this pairing. like, I have a Huge soft spot for their romantic relationship, partly because I think a lot of people avoid writing it for imo pretty weak reasons, but also their friendship. it is so important to me.
I love all the romantic comedies cliches for them – especially the ‘we married for insurance/school/other reasons, but now we’re kinda a thing I don’t know how it happened but I’m so happy’
and when their friends realise they’re actually really in love with each other – when did that happen? – they throw them a new, more romantic ‘ceremony’, which is totally not something Enjolras and Feuilly would have thought about doing but it ends up being a lot of fun.
really, they have such fantastic slow burn, crushes-to-friends-to-lovers potential.
and it’s always such a excellent mix of happy and awkward and comfortable and a little surprising I love it
let me tell you about the amazing potential of Cosette and Feuilly as foster siblings opening a coffee shop together
It has a large counter in a U shape, and one half of it is decidated to the coffee and the other to the tea; there are plants and dainty tea cups and feature art and crafts from local people, which Cosette and Feuilly still personally pick and they have impeccable taste
it’s all open space and large tables, there are workshop organised every week – first it’s their friends teaching whoever wants to come about skills, relaxation techniques, or discussions about what’s happening in the world, but it ends up being so popular they have an actual schedule and a website to book your place in one of these workshops
they have poetry nights, too
Cosette makes the sweetest hot chocolates and chai lattes and Feuilly’s so good with latte art
they hire pretty much anyone who needs a job, no matter what their pasts or experiences are – that’s how Marius ended up learning how to make pastries, and he’s good at it
they have a suspended coffee system that never go under a dozen suspended coffees available
because Valjean’s not getting any younger, he feels bad about not being able to do as much as before, and Cosette and Feuilly know he’s getting a bit lonely, so they 100% include him in their venture and he works there part time and he loves it and he meets people and talk to them and I’m so happy guys I just want Jean Valjean to be happy that’s the only thing that matters