Real Neko Atsume Cats
I know there’s already a similar post floating around, but I had already planned on making my own, and I had very specific breed headcanons! Also, this one includes the most recent cats :3
Tag: long post
Bahorel and Prouvaire for the ship meme?:D (canon era?)
Canon era, huh? Oh gosh. I never feel quite smart enough to talk about them in canon era, because I feel like there are so many Romantic things that I don’t know about? BUT I WILL GIVE IT A GO. ^_^
- How do much do I ship it?: Never heard of it/ Notp / Dislike / used to ship / maybe / ship it / aww / otp / IS IT CANON YET?
- What non sexual activities do they like to do together?
I imagine they see a lot of theatre. And visit all the best salons in Paris – not necessarily the most fashionable, but the ones with the best wine, the best company, and the crowd most likely to explode into poetry or revolutionary fervor (and depending on the mind-altering substance of the night, that could really go either way).
- Who does chores around the house?
Bahorel. Prouvaire has a bit of trouble pulling his head out of the ether and into practical pursuits. ^_^
- Who’s the better cook?
…neither. Fortunately, Bahorel knows all the best places to go in Paris including all the best places to get yourself fed without risking poisoning yourself or burning your rooms down. (…don’t ask. Really. The curtains haven’t smelled the same since. O_o;;;)
- Who’s the funniest drunk?
Probably Prouvaire, but not because he’s actually funny. Prouvaire normally is a bit maudlin and leans heavily towards the Romantic, but Prouvaire drunk is… maudlin about the most innocuous things; things that are decidedly UN-Romantic. For example, he’ll wax poetic for hours about dandelion fluff and how it resembles a kitten’s tail, and treat the topic with the seriousness devoted to talk of death. Bahorel finds it adorable and refuses to let anyone tease him for it.
- Do they have kids?
Well… if we’re in CANON… TT^TT
BUT LET’S SAY THAT THING THAT HAPPENS AT THE END DOESN’T HAPPEN AND THEY BOTH LIVE TO 120.
Then, YES. They absolutely have kids. And grandkids. And great-grandkids. They adopt so many orphans and Bahorel, especially, never seems to have fewer than two hanging off him at any given time. Their home is warm and cozy and filled with light and laughter… and skulls. And other very bizarre things that it’s really best not to ask Papa Prouvaire about. Ever. …because he WILL answer you. And you probably don’t want to know. O_o;;;
- Do they have any traditions?
Prouvaire’s birthday celebration is always held in a graveyard. He once idly commented that he feels closest to life when among the dead and Bahorel brought him there for a picnic on his birthday one year and the tradition stuck.
- What do they fight about?
Mostly inconsequential things, like what color curtains to purchase and what to eat for dinner. When it comes to the big things they tend to be pretty well in sync. But they both have hot tempers and will explode at a moment’s notice when it’s called for – though Prouvaire has a much longer fuse and it takes longer to set him off. They both cool off as quickly as they explode, though, so they’ve usually cleared the air within an hour of whatever started the fight to begin with.
- What would they do if they found their paring tag on tumblr? (If they have one)
Oh gosh. Assuming such a thing were possible in 19th century France, they would have a BLAST. They’d make a secret ship blog and contribute SO MANY HEADCANONS AND SO MUCH FIC AND PHOTOSETS AND EVERYTHING THEY COULD. They’d think it was hilarious. XD
- Who cried at the end of Marley and me?
Oh, really. Like that’s even a question? Both of them.
- Who always wins at Mario kart?
Generally speaking, Bahorel, because Prouvaire just isn’t that competitive normally? But every now and then, Prouvaire gets this light in his eye and it is ON. And when that happens? Pfft. Bahorel doesn’t stand a chance! ;D
- One thing I like about this ship?
I like how on the surface they’re polar opposites, but at the core they have so much in common. I love how those opposites make them such a good and supportive pairing. I think they’d take very good care of each other and deal really well with each other’s eccentricities. ^_^
- One thing I don’t like about the ship?
…that they’re both dead?? ABSOLUTELY NOTHING, BECAUSE LIKE I SAID, WE’RE IGNORING THE THING THAT HAPPENS ON JUNE 5, 1832. I CAN’T HEAR YOU, LA-LA-LA-LA-LA.
- The song I would say fits them?
…oh I’m terrible at those kinds of questions. I honestly have no idea. O_o;;;
- Another headcanon about the paring? (Free space)
Since I still have that whole prompt of headcanon to write for you, I’m going to wait on this one (also I have to run if I’m going to make it to yoga on time.) So, to be continued…? ^_^
DO NOT DO THIS.
This makes me so angry.
If you work in a movie theater and you do this I have no respect for you.
My younger brother is Type 1 Diabetic.
When we go to a movie theater, we always get him diet soda. If he were to get regular when we asked for diet, we would not give him the insulin he would need for it. If that happens, his blood sugar level could go so high he could go into a coma, go blind, or even die.
If somebody gave him regular soda instead of diet without telling us, that person could be responsible for a nine-year-old being killed or blinded.
Just thinking about that makes me so angry. I get scared every time we take him to a movie in case the people working there saw this picture and decide to do the same thing.
Please signal boost this so people know.
This also applies to baristas
Fun story about the baristas doing this kind of shit.
I am very sensitive to lactose, not Lactose intolerant but because of stomach ulcers that are still healing. A couple years ago I went to Starbucks right after my classes with some friends and asked for a green tea latte with soy milk. The barista, for some reason out of malice and/or hate for her life so she took it out on me, gave me whole milk in my latte.
5 minutes after my first sip of latte, my stomach cramped BAD. Not the “Oh! time to poop!” kind of cramp but it felt like someone had stabbed me with a knife and twisted it. Now I’ve had this happen before so I knew the cause of it. I went up to the barista clutching my gut screaming at her that she put dairy in my latte rather than soy LIKE I REQUESTED. She denied it and called me a “pretentious white girl for wanting soy”and so my friends got the manager. I had to explain that I had stomach ulcers that were still healing and if I were to go to the hospital for this incident, they would be responsible for it.
Manager flipped his shit and the barista was terrified out of her mind. Pretty sure both thought i was gonna sue. Manager actually fired her on the spot because of the negligence. My friends managed to get me home in one piece while I stayed home for 3 days in absolute agony and missed my midterm.
So remember kiddies, if someone is asking for Diet or “Skinny” or “soy” or anything that is not regular, give them what they requested because it may not be them being healthy, but a dietary need that can possibly be life or death
also if they ARE trying to be healthy you should give it to them to!! Its not your decision to police or question others food choices!!!
also im lactose intolerant AND ive had stomach infections/ulcers so i feel this.
I have Celiac Disease, so I’m very gluten intolerant. When I go out to eat at restaurants a lot of people just assume that I asked for my food gluten free because of the gluten free diet fad (which is usually a bullshit diet btw).
Last month I went out to dinner with a friend at an italian restaurant that had a small gluten free menu. I had been there once before and had their gluten free pasta and it was great! I think one of the managers had been there and was super helpful when taking my order to make sure that everything was gluten free for me. When I ordered the gluten free pasta again this time though, the waitress who took my order all but rolled her eyes at me. I didn’t think much of it at the time, because the restaurant was so accommodating before, I just assumed it would be the same this time.
But sure enough, they brought out my pasta, I ate it, and about an hour later I had extreme stomach pains and was throwing up (in a movie theater no less).
Barfing and agonizing pain aside, eating gluten when you have celiac causes a lot of internal damage that’s hard to notice. The biggest thing is that it damages your intestines, preventing your body from absorbing nutrients properly, which can take months to heal.
So PLEASE, if you work at a restaurant or anything with food and someone asks for something a certain way, please listen to them and don’t just disregard someone’s order. It’s not funny and it can have serious consequences.
I will reblog this with every single story about someone getting sick because of an asshole giving them the opposite of what they ordered until it sinks in for everyone.
Recently on the news a 16 year old boy with a dairy allergy had gone to eat at IHOP with his family. The specifically asked if they could make dairy free pancakes and they said yes. Not too long after he had a reaction and was rushed to the hospital. This kid died because the was dairy in his pancakes that they asked for no dairy. His epi pen that his mother had wasn’t enough to help him. I know working in fast food or any job that’s serves food and beverage sucks but not as much as causing someone to get sick over negligence.
My youngest cousin – who is now five, he just started kindergarten – has Celiac’s disease. You would not BELEIVE the amount of times I’ve heard my aunt say she’s ordered something gluten free, only to watch the waiter or waitress’s eyes go huge when she gives it to my cousin – my cousin with the medical id band on his tiny five year old wrist proclaiming I HAVE CELIACS and have to take it back.
Shit like this could kill my cousin. Knock it the fuck off.
I cannot tolerate caffeine–it makes me have chest pain and a racing pulse, and also gives me horrible body pain, so I always ask for decaf if I order coffee when I’m out, and doublecheck with the waiter/ress when they bring it. but instead of saying “is this decaf like I asked for?” I always say “oh, did I remember to order decaf?” I shouldn’t have to act like I’m the forgetful one (because I know damn well I asked for decaf) but it seems to work better than implying that they screwed up when I take the blame on myself like that. and if there’s any hesitation when they answer, I tell them, “if there’s any doubt, please get another one, or just give me water–if this is regular, it’ll mess up my heart” and lots of times when I say that, they look alarmed and go change it or get another one.
but I shouldn’t HAVE to share my personal medical history with strangers just to get my order right! no one should! how is it their business? it makes me really uncomfortable to have to do that. JUST GIVE PEOPLE WHAT THEY ORDER!
I’ve reblogged this maaaany times before but there’s a few new stories on here so i’m doing it again.
cut this shit out
don’t be that kind of asshole.
As a diabetic, this would make me so beyond angry. Skinny doesn’t mean they don’t have a life threatening illness. Skinny doesn’t mean they can process sugar the way you do. People that do this are the worst kinds of people. DO NOT DO THIS!
Me and my family went to a restaurant a few years back and one of the dishes we ordered was made with wine vinegar, which I am allergic to, so we asked the waiter to skip it, and he said sure, no problem, that’s fine.
So my food gets to the table, and I start eating and then my throat closes and I can’t breathe and then I start coughing and throwing up right there in the middle of the restaurant and it was very fortunate that I was with my family and they knew what was happening to me.
I had to be rushed to the hospital, and admitted, and I came damn near close to having my throat cut open so I could breathe through a whole on my neck.
Because they put wine vinegar in my food when I explicitly told them not to, because they were assholes, and I could have died.
They probably didn’t mean to hurt me but they did. I missed class, and work, and, again, I COULD HAVE DIED.
So much all of this. Unless I’m at a Chinese restaurant, I always tell the waitstaff about my dairy allergy– because then there’s a 95% chance they’ll take me seriously. I’ve learned to read them, and check everything, and make sure to order things that are “easily” adjusted (there are certain places I don’t order a salad because the cheese is too close to the salad bin and they can’t seem to give me one without any). I’ve accepted that every time I go out to eat, I’m pretty much putting my life in other people’s hands. It sucks, and my friends and coworkers don’t always understand why I don’t find going out to eat a treat.
If I’m getting something small, though, like french fries (OMG, McDonald’s fries have beef tallow with milk in it though?), or a drink, I don’t usually tell them. Especially if it’s just a drink and a bag of chips and the ingredients on the chips are right there.
If I had trouble with sugar, though? I wouldn’t think much to say “I absolutely must have diet soda because I’m diabetic” because that shouldn’t be so hard to do right.
Always give people what they ordered. You don’t know why they’re asking.
If men stopped working…the world would continue on.
If women stopped working, then things would get ugly.
there has been an instance where this happened.
it was 1975 and icelandic women decided not to work for one day.
working as in cooking, cleaning, taking care of the children, doing chores and so on, not only “not showing up to your workplace”. women did nothing that day, except showing up in reykjavik and protesting for gender equality, equal pay and equal representation in parliament, you know, cool stuff.
you know what happened? havoc. men were left with food to cook and children they never took care of to pick up from kindergarden and entertain for the day. they went en masse to the food shops buying sausages because they could cook nothing else, they had to bond with children they never spent more than a couple hours a day with. they struggled combining their work day and the domestic tasks they had to sort out. and this just for one day.
iceland in 1975 stopped working and things indeed got ugly.
so ugly that women in the following decades became woke AF and soon it happened that women became president, took half of the seats in parliament and achieved one of the best living environments in the world.
is your astonishment solved now?
We already know what happens to countries when the majority of the male workforce is removed. It is called “war.”
If you want to read Highly Documented and Very Historical accounts of how countries function without internal male labor, you can start by diving in to World War 1 and World War 2! (I’m just gonna talk about the Allied forces because my English is best
and I know the most about them, but the Axis powers had similar
See, when the warring civilizations threw every able-bodied man they could at war fronts all over the planet, this left enormous labor vacuums. Not only did the countries have to function without male labor, but they also had to funnel vast amounts of food, clothing, ammunition and weapons to the men in combat. By WW2, women were needed in every possible role that didn’t include active combat.
If you send millions of men to combat, then the resulting millions of empty, necessary, “male” jobs must be done by women. That’s just how it works.
This is an British WW1 poster from 1917. It says it succinctly – every woman who takes a “male” job in the military, frees up that man for active combat.
One thing that you can’t get enough of in war is bullets! With men spending bullets but not making them, the women need to do it. These WW1 posters from around 1918 are pretty cool – the woman “doing her bit” has shades of Art Nouveau, I think.
Here’s an American WW1 poster in which the women are dressed as mechanics, train drivers, military support, manufacturers, farmers and nurses. I like the cool Victorian shoes and the baggy trousers. Isn’t it funny to think that this happened between the Victorians and the flappers?
In WW1, you couldn’t even afford to spare able-bodied men to drive ambulances in warzones. Ambulance drivers on the Front were largely women. They picked up the wounded and dying men and took them to field hospitals staffed largely by women.
By WW2, the women of the Allied nations were SO ON TOP OF THIS.
Here is a Canadian lady from the 1940s. Women in Air Force support were vital – men were the fighter pilots, women were transport pilots – as well as doing the support roles like aircraft maintenance and preparation, parachute packing, communications and intelligence, managing the radar, plotting the weather, and, of course, doing the catering. The language on this poster shows that the woman does all of this necessary work to get the fighter pilots in the air. Every non-combat military job that a woman took meant one more fighter pilot and soldier in active combat.
Back at home, people functioned fairly well without men in WW2. Everyone’s seen this American WW2 poster, you know she’s encouraging women to get into the factories and make All The Stuff!
HEY WE STILL NEED LOTS OF FOOD TO EAT AND THERE ARE NO MEN TO MAKE THE FOOD, SHOULD WE STARVE?
NO WE SHOULD NOT
THIS AUSTRALIAN LADY IS GOING TO FARM ALL THE THINGS
Land Armies (staffed by Land Girls) were super necessary to feed everyone at home PLUS everyone at war. Land Girls were used in both WW1 and WW2. While farming was a “protected occupation” (male farmers wouldn’t be forcibly drafted into the military, because their jobs were too important to a functioning society) the majority male farmworkers decided to enlist voluntarily. This left elderly or disabled male farmworkers to do intensive work. By WW2 they had some tractors to help, but most farming was still done by hand or with draft animals, especially since the steel and fuel for the tractors was more needed on the Front.
This American lady found a cool old-timey tractor, which is just as good as an ambulance…
But this British lady has to do her plowing with a draft horse! The weathered old farmer, too old for combat, is very grateful.
FOOD COMES FIRST!
okay but LOOK at some of these other Plushy Man Jobs, Necessary To Prevent the Downfall of Society, that American women needed to do RIGHT NOW TO BEAT THE NAZIS:
AMERICAN WOMEN! THESE ELEVATORS AREN’T GOING TO OPERATE THEMSELVES
I CAN KEEP GOING FOREVER
TAKE THE JOBS FROM MEN!! TAKE THEM!! SEIZE THEM!! DRILL THE THING
Oddly, even without men at work, “women’s work” still got done.
Children were still mostly looked after. Large communal childcare programs were set up (they were quickly closed after WW2, though.) Food was prepared. Households
ran. Single women stayed single. The countries functioned. The world still turned. MILLIONS OF MEN
were WIPED OFF THE PLANET but the world still turned.
In fact, the Allies won both WW1 and WW2.
And the resulting power/gender/employment vacuums shaped the gender dynamics of most of Tumblr’s parents and grandparents.
How quickly did everyone forget all that?
“Particularly prone to serious procrastination problems are children who grew up with unusually high expectations placed on them…or else they exhibited exceptional talents early on, and thereafter “average” performances were met with concern and suspicion from parents and teachers.”
They actually tested me for a learning disability in high school because I was consistently failing math.
They discovered that I actually scored in the 80th percentile in that sort of learning.
Problem was, in every other subject, I was in the 99.8th percentile.
I had never learned how to study because I never needed to—and then, when something proved to be even the slightest bit challenging, my brain went
“LOL nope this is impossible abort”
Meanwhile, this entire time I’m scraping by in subjects like English. The assignments I did turn in, I’d score top marks—but I’d avoid turning in projects I didn’t think were “good” enough.
Essentially, my brain had two settings: “100%” or “0%”.
This sort of Baby Genius shit makes kids and adolescents neurotic and self-destructive.
We learned about this in Child Development. And we learned to reward hard work and not good job. Like don’t say to a child, “oh you are so smart.” Say “Oh did worked so hard.”
Be proud of the child, not the achievement.
Be proud of the child, not the achievement.
Decades of research have been done on this by Dr. Carol Dweck. When the emphasis is placed on effort (a factor people can control) rather than talent (an innate skill), it’s a lot easier to see mistakes as a learning opportunity rather than something you just won’t ever be good at. And kids who were encouraged by effort were also more willing to take on more challenging work and considered it a lot more fun, while the kids who were praised for their intelligence were reluctant to put themselves in a situation where they might lose that identifier as a “smart kid” by making mistakes, so they preferred to do work they were confident they could master. Also, the kids praised for effort wanted to compare their results to kids who got higher scores, to see where they made their mistakes, while those praised for intelligence wanted to compare their results to kids who scored lower, to reassure themselves.
Not only does this set up “smart” students for a lot of trouble when they enter college and start being regularly challenged, the effects last long beyond that. It can be very hard for the “you’re so smart!” kids to unlearn as they become adults and struggle with even common adult things, and are afraid to ask for help because of that lesson they learned from misguided praise that they are supposed to be smart and supposed to know the answers.
…Honestly +1 here. It’s very well researched and documented and yeah. Making the emphasis on “You succeed and we are proud of you b/c you are SMART as an intrinsic quality!” makes failure/setbacks/difficulty -TERRIFYING- b/c if you’re “smart” it doesn’t happen and if you fail that means you’re not smart and that’s what everyone’s drilled into you as your main point of worth.
And the rates of anxiety disorders among “gifted student” kids are kinda horrifying.
I mean, if all your life you’re told “you’re so smart!” by teachers, parents, friends, etc., when you run into a situation you can’t just glide through like normal … you kind of go into this personal crisis of identity thing. Like:
You can’t do this. So you aren’t smart. But everyone’s always said you’re smart. But you’re not smart anymore. So … what are you?
Not a fun time.
I had a huge argument with my mother over this.
“but how will your kids know they are smart if you don’t tell them”
i don’t fuckin care if they know they’re smart, mom
You really think kids don’t start learning they know more than their peers? You really think they don’t know to start altering their vocabulary or understand what it means when their classmates start to expect them to break the curves?
You really think kids don’t understand that they may get the material on question one of the homework but there are 10 questions because that’s not how quick everyone else is?
Please. I’m not saying never to encourage or never to remark on their achievements. But trust me, kids know. You stick them in the type of school settings the US (and abroad) favors and they’ll know.
It also leads to the dichotomy of “You know how to do this, why can’t you do it?!”
Knowledge and ability are two different animals, and if you’re riding in lifes rodeo, sometimes you’re not gonna be able to saddle the big one. If you don’t have the ability to do something, all the knowledge of it in the world isn’t going to make a damn lick of difference. I’m coming against this again and again as an adult. I know /how/ to do something, but I don’t have the muscle memory, the repetition, the /ability/ to do it.
Also the concept of practicing something. Like getting good at something because you practice, you make mistakes. If you’re taught as a kid that you can’t afford to make mistakes (financially, socially, etc.) then you’re never going to be able to practice at shit.
“If you’re so smart, why can’t you *insert random task here*! Everyone else can do it?”
No. No, not everybody else can do it. “Practice makes perfect” isn’t something ‘Smart’ kids are allowed to have. You have to be perfect the first time, or not at all. “Good enough” is also a concept that smart kids are denied.
I’m not bitter or anything, right? *sarcasm*
Revenge of the Sith | Deleted Scene | Obi-Wan Visits Padmé
“I am not blind, Padmé. Though I have tried to be, for Anakin’s sake. And for yours. Anakin has loved you since the day you met, in that horrible junk shop on Tatooine. He’s never even tried to hide it, though we do not speak of it. We… pretend that I don’t know. And I was happy to, because it made him happy. You made him happy, when nothing else ever truly could.”
The deleted scene of all SW deleted scenes! The one that the PT fandom would give anything to see but probably never will due to Disney’s anti-Prequels policy: The moment Obi-Wan Kenobi officially admits that he is Anidala shipper and wordlessly confesses that he really does love Anakin Skywalker!
“You love him, too, don’t you?” When he didn’t answer she turned around. He stood motionless, frowning, in the middle of the expanse of the buff carpeting. “You do. You do love him.” He lowered his head. He looked very alone. “Please, do what you can to help him,” he said, and left.
It reveals so much about the relationship between the three, long-time friends, and sheds new light on the complexity of it, but most of all it reveals the extent of Obi-Wan’s love for Anakin when he openly admits to Padmé he has known about their forbidden relationship from the beginning and that not only has he tacitly allowed it but also silently supported it for all those years! (It’s something that got almost completely lost in ROTS, aside the tacit acknowledgement of Padmé’s pregnancy.) It explains so much about his behaviour at the end of AOTC when he sent Anakin to escort Padmé back to Naboo despite the fact that he knew better than anyone else about the possible consequences. It explains his behaviour in the hangar—it’s the moment when he chooses Anakin over the Jedi Order and decides to give him the only thing he knows that can make him happy, Padmé.
Considering he spent all his time with Anakin, Obi-Wan must have been blind not to notice him mysteriously disappearing and the sudden addition of R2 as their new teammate. Though, I’m sure the pragmatist he was Obi-Wan must have thought he still got the better end of the bargain since he didn’t need to listen to C3PO’s statistics on how low his odds of survival were. The saddest thing about it is that Anakin never realized that his friend knew nor how much he was loved by him or how fiercely protective and loyal he was. Just the mere fact that he, the stickler for rules, cared more about Anakin’s happiness and well-being than the Jedi and all their dogmas. What makes it even more special is that his visits follows the moment he told Anakin about his mission to spy on Palpatine, so him going to Padmé was the direct result of it, because Obi-Wan knew how much it hurt and disillusioned him, It shows that Obi-Wan understood Anakin and recognized how much different he was from all the other Jedi and he ACCEPTED HIM, EVERYTHING OF HIM, instead of trying to change him. It’s obvious he wanted to protect his singularity and happiness because he loved this complex, flawed man with all his flaws and weaknesses.
“I was very happy to learn of his appointment to the Council.” – Padmé
“Yes. It is perhaps less than he deserves—though I’m afraid that it can be more than he can handle.” – Obi-Wan
Futhermore, though it is short, this is such an important and private moment between Padmé and Obi-Wan – her husband’s best, and probably only, friend, the closest thing to a brother and a father he had, the man who loved her son and protected him him from the shadows even after he sacrificed himself to save him and his sister. Which was so fitting because in that way he repaid Anakin all those times he had saved his life. Also, it would be awesome to watch Padme’s reaction at hearing Obi-Wan speak about the depth of Anakin’s feelings for her, because here was the man who knew him the best and he was telling her how much and openly her husband loved her, because for all she knew, no one but a couple of droids, a priest and a handful of people loyal to her were aware of her love affair with the Jedi Knight and she no one to confide in about her private life.
Finally, the final part of the scene when Obi-Wan receives the message from Mace Windu about Grievous’s whereabouts reveals the sheer hopeless turmoil Padmé had been living through during her marriage with Anakin—that their time together was limited and that her husband could be called to war any moment and taken away from her.
A map of about every primary passenger railway in the USA for 2016, commuter rail included.
Surely there are more trains lines about than this ?!
Nope. We’re animals. I’ve only trailed by train twice in the U.S., and it was the same line, once DC to Philadelphia, and once DC to NYC for work once I discovered the train was two hours faster than flying and cabbing back into NYC.
I do forget though that you guys fly everywhere and trains might not be practical. I live on an island the size of one of your states !
Fun fact: the busiest railway station in America (Penn Station in New York City) gets fewer passengers than Liverpool Central.
I knew the US had a much less extensive rail infrastructure than us, but bloody hell, the fact that there are ENTIRE STATES that literally don’t have passenger rail is madness.
I’d still love to travel on it some time, mind.
Just imagine the jobs you could create by building a decent railway system!
Behold, the end result of graft and political corruption.
I had no idea most of the US had no regional lines? Like, I live in tiny little MA with one of those clusters of red. Does everybody else have to DRIVE???
yes. we drive. and it’s terrible.
D: This is actually distressing.
to be fair some cities do have good bus systems
what the shuddering fuck? That’s IT?!
actually we used to have a lot more, but as far as i’m aware i’m pretty sure the car companies bought a lot of railways and then destroyed them to force people to buy cars
Also some of those states that don’t have rails also have more cows than people.
Also our trains are slow and it’s usually much faster to drive than to take a train. We don’t have those speed rail things.
WAIT WHAT? THAT IS ALL?
There used to be more (map of train tracks 1870 & 1890), but, as @kaza999 pointed out, alot of it was destroyed on purpose by General Motors in the firsty half of the 1900s to, ahem, pave the way for the primacy of the car. And, since then, any investment in rail infrastructure (or any infrastructure at all, for that matter) has been opposed on ideological grounds by the conservative wing.
When you suddenly understand Sheldon’s train enthusiasm
And then there’s Europe:
And because that looks a tiny bit cluttered (and because we’re a German blog), here’s a railway map of Germany:
In red are the high speed InterCityExpress lines, blue are the InterCity lines and the grey ones are smaller regional lines.
And for Americans who don’t know how large Germany is: It is half the size of Texas.
Consider that this map does not show local lines, for example:
This is Hamburg
This is Berlin
This is Cologne
And this is Munich
Munich’s network deadass has more lines than the entire state of MA
like the one thing i miss about australia is the public transit (and meat pies ngl)
I live in MA, which multiple people here have pointed out is unusually good in comparison to the rest of the country. I live about 10 miles from Boston, my town does not have a train.
The only thing I can access by train, and this still would require me to walk a mile to the nearest bus stop that barely ever has on time buses, to take THAT to the subway and if I want to use the commuter rail to the other parts of MA I have to take the subway into Boston first. in other words to get to my friend who is accidentally accessible by public transport (only one friend is) I must walk a mile to the bus, take the bus to the subway, take the subway to north station to transfer to the commuter rail, then take that 40 miles instead of 30 because I had to go 10 miles south to access the train that goes north and the whole thing I think takes around 4 hours?
It’s a 30 minute drive.
So yeah, if the other countries want to complain about gas prices, WE REALLY FUCKING NEED THEM THAT LOW. Public transport is non-existent outside of major cities even if you are fairly close to one. It’s not just trains my town only has the ONE BUS and it goes down ONE ROAD ONLY it has less range then the FUCKING SCHOOL BUSES DO.
and this is a big deal because millennials can’t afford their own cars. Any job that requires reliable transport DOES NOT mean public transport (because ours is poorly maintained and usually late/broken even if you have access) so that means almost every job requires “owns a car”
I have wondered why I never hear people from the US talk about taking the train, this explains it 😮
i pine for trains 😦
Convert Resources: Jewish Study Time!
I spend most of my life doing e-research anyways so here goes. This is for other converts who are like “????” but also hey, applies to anyone already Jewish too. Enjoy. This following list proves enough resources to obtain a free siddur, haggadah, the whole Torah (with commentary), free ways to learn hebrew, and no money spent to learn history, theology, or philosophy. Learning comes free of charge. 🙂
Where REF is Reform, C is Conservative, O is Orthodox, and REC is Reconstructionist. * Is a news source, and + is a practice/text/prayer resource.
- My Jewish Learning
- Reform Judaism.org [REF]
- The Forward *
- Tablet Magazine *
- Judaism 101 [O]
- Siddur Audio [C prayers] +
- Haftorah Audio +
- Keshet Online LGBT
- Jewish Women’s Archive
- Haaretz *
- Jewish Telegraphic Agency *
- The Times of Israel *
- Center for Jewish History
- Aish HaTorah
- Jewish Virtual Library
- Jewish-English Lexicon
- National Museum of American Jewish History
- Chabad.org [O]
- The Jewish Museum
- Haggadot +
- Sefaria +
- Hebrew Calendar
- Jewish Study Network – Focus Readers
- Coffee Shop Rabbi [REF/General]
- OpenSiddur +
- Judaism StackeXchange
- You’re Not Crazy – Blog for Orthodox Converts
- Convert Confidential blog
- Kveller – parenting / relationship centered
- 70 Faces Media hub
- GoDaven +
- RitualWell (REC)+
- NLE Orthodox educational resources (O)
- Hebrew Union College LGBT resources
University/Academic databases and Research Guides (some limited access):
- Yeshiva Jewish Studies Guide
- Princeton Guide
- Columbia Guide
- AJS – Association for Jewish Studies
- Shamash – a 20 year old directory of resources. Many no longer usable.
- YIVO – Center for Jewish Research
- JTSA – Research Study Guides
- Center for Jewish History E-Resources
Podcasts, Itunes U, and MOOC:
For long commutes and drives!
- Vox Tablet Podcast
- UnOrthodox – Tablet/Slate Podcast.
- Talking in Shul Podcast
- “Stuff Jews Should Know” Podcast
- Ancient Israel – Free Online Video & Resources – Free Online Video – Daniel Fleming, NYU
- From Israelite to Jew – Free iTunes Audio, Michael Satlow, Brown University
- Introduction to the Old Testament (Hebrew Bible) – Free Online Video –Christine Hayes, Yale. (Unknown if “Jewish” or Christian entirely)
- Jerusalem: The Holy City from Ancient Canaan t0 Modern Israel – Free iTunes Video – Free iTunes Audio – Robert Cargill, UCLA
- Jews and Christians Throughout History – Free iTunes Video – Rabbi Michael Signer, Notre Dame
- Literature and World of the Old Testament/Hebrew Bible – Free iTunes Video – Free Online Video – John Strong, Missouri State (Again, unknown if solely Christian view)
- The Hebrew Bible – Free iTunes Video – Shaye J.D. Cohen, Harvard
- The Hebrew Scriptures in Judaism & Christianity – Free iTunes Video –Shaye J.D. Cohen, Harvard
- Modern Jewish History – University of Wisconsin-Madison
- Modern European Mysticism and Psychological Thought – Hebrew University
- The Fall and Rise of Jerusalem – Tel Aviv University
- Rutgers: The Bible and History , Israeli Political System , Introduction to Rabbinic Literature , History of Zionism , Jews Under Islam , The Inquisition and the Jews
- Jewish Public Media has a few podcasts I think?
- Jewseum Podcast
- United States Holocaust Memorial Museum – itunes u/podcasts
- Frankel Institute for Advanced Jewish Studies (U of Michigan)
- Jewish Theological Seminary Parashat – Torah Commentary
- Any of JTS’s other series!: Biblical readings for holidays, philosophy, sephardic history, what to wear, science, talmud, etc.
- University of Washington – Intro to Judaism (emphasizes Contemporary US)
- Salvador Dali’s Aliyah: The Rebirth of Israel
- 92|Y Podcast
- A Fine Romance: Jewish Songwriters, American Songs
- Matzoh ball Gumbo: Tales of the Jewish South video
- Center for Israel Studies
- Center for Jewish Studies – U of Wisconsin
- New Books in Jewish Studies
- American Jewish Archives – Podcast in American Jewish History
- G-D Talk podcast/videos
Learning Hebrew (not from Hebrew 4 Christians):
- Hebrew Podcasts
- Ancient Hebrew Resources Center
- Learn Hebrew with NEMO (app)
- Tyndale Archive of Biblical Studies (TABS)
- Gesenius’ Hebrew Grammar
- University of Washington
- Animated Hebrew
- Northwestern Theological Seminary (NTS) Library – PDF of Basics in Biblical Hebrew charts
- Hebrew Audio Bible
Most recommended starter books:
First: GO TO A LIBRARY!!!!! LIBRARY BOOKS ARE FREE, ISN’T THAT GLORIOUS? Then if you’ve asked the public library and they neither have anything on the shelf nor can they borrow a book from another branch for you, ask a Rabbi. Then: Check thriftbooks.com for cheap copies!
- JPS Annotated Study Bible (Tanakh in English)
- Living Judaism – Rabbi Wayne Dosick
- Essential Judaism
- Jewish Literacy – Rabbi Telushkin
- The Jewish Book of Why?
- Jewish Living – Washofsky [REF]
- Aleph Bet isn’t Tough!
- Jews, God, and History
- Choosing a Jewish Life – Diamant
- CoffeeShop Rabbi’s Basic Books List
What are some good Jewish Book lists or print magazines (or ebooks)?:
- Jewish Book Council Reading Lists
- Top 100 Jewish Books (My Jewish Learning)
- Tablet’s Print Magazine
- The Jewish Book Review (print, can be found in larger city bookstores, filed in the literary section of magazines)
- Yiddish Book Center’s list of Books
- HuffPo Books Every Jew Should Read
- Jewcy’s 50 essential works of Jewish Fiction
- JWeekly’s List 9 new books
- FREE BOOKS FOR JEWISH CHILDREN PJ LIBRARY i just!!!!!! they are free books.
- Go patron nice fellow tumblr-ers Shira Glassman and Rose Lerner for jewish protags in fiction and romance
Wait, I want a siddur (prayerbook):
Go to Open Siddur for free siddurim. The following are also popular purchases or PDFs free online:
- Mishkan T’feliah (REF)
- Gates of Prayer (REF)
- Eit Ratzon
- Lev Shalem (new C)
- Sim Shalom ©
- Koren-Sacks (O)
- Artscroll (O)
- Kol Haneshamah (REC)
- Siddur Sha’ar Zahav LGBT
- Siddur B’chol L’vav’cha LGBT
- Build your own at Build a Prayer
- Beth Shalom Morning Siddur PDF
- NFTY Siddur PDF
- Beth El Siddur PDF ©
- Kesher Siddur PDF (REF)
- A link for more links and PDFs
- Learning Hebrew Siddur (for Kids or anyone)
But where do I buy….(a Mezuzah, a havdalah set, lots of gelt….etc)?:
- Jewish Used Books
- My Jewish Books
- Modern Tribe
- My Sefer
- Judaica Webstore
- World of Judaica
- Koofsa – Israeli Food subscription Box
- Jewish Holidays in a Box
- Shalom in a Box
- Blue Box Israel
- Judaica Shop NMJH
- Shop the Jewish Museum
- Contemporary Jewish Museum Store
- Other places whose websites carry a selection of Judaica: Bed, Bath, and Beyond; Target; Wayfair.
ok i’m exhausted. This is what I’ve got for now!
We’ve had a few messages asking us for the post of conversion resources, and I’m 99.9% sure it’s the above from @keshetchai!
Star Wars Age!Squash AU, Comic #06
Padawan Era – Master Windu & Anakin
After spending two years with the Initiates glued to Obi-Wan’s side, Anakin is chosen as Padawan by Master Windu, who had once been most vocal in objecting to Anakin’s presence in the Order. While the boy still has much to learn, Mace now sees great potential Anakin, impressed by his progress in adapting to the Jedi way. Anakin’s relative comfort with the Jedi is no doubt heavily influenced by his friendships with his peers, namely Garen Muln and Quinlan Vox, but mostly his increasingly deep bond with Obi-Wan, a fellow Initiate only two years his senior.
Anakin is still a bit wary of adult authority figures despite Obi-Wan’s insistence that they only want to help. He is especially careful around men, who he saw abuse his mother too many times on Tatooine. While Anakin deeply respects Master Windu and is more than a little awed to be chosen as his apprentice, he is also unsure of the Councilor’s intentions.
Mace’s former Padawan, Depa Billaba, helps break the ice. Anakin finds it much easier to trust her, unintentionally overlapping her reassuring presence with that of his mother’s. She becomes his closest confidant after Obi-Wan while he slowly learns to open up to his new Master, who patiently waits until he can earn Anakin’s trust.
This is part of the Star Wars Age!Squash AU. Find all other posts through THIS MASTERPOST. Update schedule for future posts will also be on the Masterpost!
DO IT NOW: Guide to Proper Bra Fit and Measuring because Victoria Secret and La Senza and whatever are full of shit and you are definitely wearing the wrong size ok? ok
Hi guys I’m obsessed with this shit lately because I don’t want anyone to have unhappy, unsupported boobs like I did. Even if you think your boobs and bras are fine, try it. It will make a big difference in comfort, support, and shape, even if you have small boobs or big boobs. A proper fitting bra can fix back, shoulder, and neck pain, along with breast soreness – and it can help you look 10lbs lighter, and your breasts a hell of a lot perkier. This guide also works for proper-sized bikinis and bathing suits (many online stores linked to below sell both- sometimes for as low as 10$!)
Don’t just like this, REBLOG IT. EVERYBODY WITH BOOBS DESERVES A PROPER FIT. Even if you don’t wear bras yourself, spread it around to tumblr or with your friends or family.
Grab a soft tape measurer (use inches) and get nekkid – don’t wear a bra or shirt please, you don’t wear a bra or shirt underneath your bra, do you? This part is fast and easy, and will help you find your ‘Starting Point’ bra size – you may not end up in this exact size, but it will get you in the right ballpark.
How to Measure:
- Measure your underbust – go right underneath the root of your breasts, but make sure the tape is straight/parallel to the floor. Take a firm, snug measurement – if you have chub, take it tighter.
- Measure your bust bent over – bend forward so your back is parallel to the floor and your boobs are hanging so you have access to all that beautiful breast tissue that is now brought forward. Measure very loosely around the nipples, keeping tape straight/horizontal/perpendicular to the floor.
- If your breasts are kind of empty and/or have a lot of sag, this method may overestimate your cup size. Instead, take your bust measurement bent over, standing, and lying flat on your back, and take an average of those three measurements and use that for your calculations.
How to Use These Measurements to find your ‘Starting Size’:
- Round up your underbust measurement to the nearest even number. If you are only half an inch or less away from being a lower size, use that instead (unless you have a bony ribcage). This is automatically your band size. No BS. There is no adding imaginary inches here.
- The difference between your underbust measurement and your bust measurement dictates your cup size. Every 1 inch in difference represents a cup size, so 1 inch = A, 2 = B, 3 = C, 4 = D. As you can see here, a true D or DD cup is actually pretty fucking small.
- CUP SIZES ARE NOT STANDARD, UNLIKE COMMONLY THOUGHT (AND TOLD TO US BY ASSHOLES LIKE VS). They are TOTALLY relative to band size. The cup on a 30D has 4 inches less volume than the cup on a 34D. A 30D is actually the same cup size as a 34B!
- No one has their shit together on the lettering for each cup size, so here’s a handy dandy chart. Remember to go with UK measurement as they somewhat have their shit together (and because American companies do not make much above DD, so there’s literally no point in knowing it, but the European sizing may come in handy)
- I DON’T CARE IF YOU LIVE IN THE USA, DO NOT USE THE AMERICAN MEASUREMENTS, FFS. YOU’LL ONLY MAKE THINGS HARDER AND MORE CONFUSING FOR YOURSELF. ANY BOUTIQUE IN NORTH AMERICA WORTH GOING TO, AND 99% OF ONLINE STORES, IS GOING TO SELL PRIMARILY BRITISH OR EUROPEAN BRANDS AND WILL GO BY THEIR SIZING. THERE IS LITERALLY NO POINT IN KNOWING AMERICAN SIZING
- DO NOT USE AMERICAN SIZING
- DO NOT USE AMERICAN FUCKING SIZING
- EVEN IF YOU ARE AMERICAN
- AND LIVE IN THE US
- USE THE BRITISH SIZING
- For example, I have a 29.5 inch underbust and a 38 inch bust when bent over. So, I should take a 30 band and then there’s an 8 inch difference. So I am a 30FF in UK sizing. This is just my starting point when looking for bras, and I may not always end up with this exact size
- Do not pull the ‘omg no I’m not a G cup my boobs aren’t that big you’re more stupid that the idea of vegetable bread’ shit with me ok? You drank the Kool-Aid and now you need to piss it out. CUP SIZES ARE NOT STANDARD. A 34D IS BIGGER IN THE CUPS THAN A 30E. Here, take a look at a chart of cup volumes and see what I mean.
- Also… not all ‘big cup’ bras are ugly and granny-like. Just check out brands like Freya or Gossard or Gorteks or Panache or Cleo! They are gorgeous!
Trying it on: What a proper fit is like
- ALWAYS SCOOP AND SWOOP BEFORE ASSESSING WHETHER IT FITS OR NOT. What does this mean? This means bend over, hike up your bra so that it sits right under the root of your breasts. Then, start smooshing all your back fat and armpit rolls or any loose tissue thats underneath or to the side of the cup, INTO the cup. All that stuff is breast tissue that got pushed around from your shitty bras, no I am not bullshitting – after a few months of wearing better bras, many people end up having to get a bigger cup and sometimes even a smaller band too, as all the smooshed breast tissue migrates back to the boob, where it should be. Not kidding. So get everything in there and make sure the wire is positioned perfectly under your boobs. Then stand up and assess the fit. If it seemed to fit before scooping, it won’t fit now.
- THIS IS JUST A STARTING POINT. Try on your starting size and work from there. You may need to go up or down a band size, or up or down many cup sizes. Not all brands or even models in that brand are made the same way, and the shape of your boobs also helps determine the size and fit, so don’t try on JUST the size you calculated, say “it doesn’t fit”, and then give up and go back to your 36Cs. You aren’t doing yourself any favours. If you don’t feel comfortable in your ‘starting point size’, go ahead and try a size up or down in bands and/or a size or two or even three up or down in cups as needed.
- ALWAYS start on the loosest hook. If you need to start on the tightest hook, go down a band size. The point of hooks is simple – as your bra gets used, it gradually loses its elasticity and gets loose. So, you use your hooks to bring it in, and when you reach the last hook, well, be prepared to get rid of your bra in a few months (unless you invest in a band tightener like the Rixie Clip)
- A proper fit means the bra band is straight and parallel to the floor. If it isn’t, and seems to be getting pulled up, its too big and isn’t supporting you. Get a smaller band. You shouldn’t be able to stretch it more than a couple inches off your back. It may feel tight at first, but bras do need ‘breaking in’ and you are used to wearing things that do not fit correctly, so give it a chance. Of course, it should not hurt either!
- A proper fit means your bra straps are not digging in.
- A proper fit means the gore (the little centerpiece of the bra where the wires sort of meet) MUST tack/sit firmly against your chest. If it doesn’t, then the wires are not truly fully underneath your boobs and so are not giving you the proper support.
- A proper fit means your boobs must fit smoothly into the entire cup (after scooping and swooping). The wire should totally encase all your breast tissue (this includes armpit fat and stuff). There should be no empty space at the bottom or top of the cup. Your boobs should not be overflowing from the top of the cup. If there’s overflowing or uncontained tissue after scooping, or of it feels tight, get a bigger cup.
- A proper fit means you should be able to lift your arms over your head and jump around without the band or underwire budging or exposing underboob.
Size Tweaks/Troubleshooting (make sure you scoop and swoop first):
- The band feels tight: Is the gore tacking or not? If not, go up a cup size or two (or maybe even three or four). Even if the gore is tacking, try this first. The band may be tight because the cups are too small, so your boobs are stretching the band out too much to overcompensate for lack of cup depth, making it feel tighter. If after trying larger cups, it still feels uncomfortably tight, go up a band size (and down a cup size if the first size fit well in the cups – remember, cup is relative to band, a 32DD is the same in the cups as a 34D). Remember though that it takes a few days to break a bra in, so it may feel tight or perfect at first, and then comfortable or too loose later.
- The band feels loose/band is riding up and not remaining parallel to the floor: Go down a band size (and up a cup size or two because blablah relativity).
- The gore is not tacking, but band is not tight: Band size is too big, or maybe fits just right – but the cups are too small. You know what to do.
- Boobs spilling over: Go up a cup size. Check first though that the bottom of the cup is not empty, and hike it up if it is!
- Empty space at bottom of cup: Hike that shit up so it gets right to the roots of your breasts. This may fix bulging/spillage. If you can’t get it higher, then you need a smaller cup or this make of bra is just not suited to your shape.
- Empty space at top of cup: You need a smaller cup, or this shape of bra just does not suit you your breasts, especially if your breasts are not very full on top. Or you need to scoop and swoop!
- Straps digging in: Loosen them. If your boobs suddenly sag, then the band is not supportive enough, and you need a tighter band.
- Armpit rolls: Bigger cup and/or scoop and swoop that shit. The cut of bra may also just not be for you (for now anyway – your armpit rolls may migrate back into the boobs and disappear eventually!)
- They don’t even make my size!!: If you’re in a 28-48 D-KK (UK sizing) cup, you will find your size online easily enough. however, if you have a smaller band than that or need smaller cups, they are hard to find – message me and I’ll try to help you with a solution!
- So, for example, my starting size may be 30FF, but I may end up wearing a 28G or H if the band of that model is too loose and the gore not tacking. Or the band may be fine and I may need a bigger cup so I’ll get a 30G. Or The band may be good but the cups too big, so I’ll get a 30F or E. Or the band may be too small to be comfortable and I’ll wear a 32F or E (same cupsize-ish as 30FF!).
What Not to Do:
- NEVER PUT YOUR BRA IN THE DRYER. AND PREFERABLY, WASH IT BY HAND. The heat and twisting ruins the elasticity of the bra and reduces its life! This is the best way to ruin bras, don’t do it.
- Do not add 3 or 4 or 5 inches or whatever to your band measurement. That is BS that American companies use so that they don’t have to manufacture a larger range of sizes – they use it to fit you into their stock, not their stock onto you. The band will be too big and unsupportive. Those 4 inches they add to the band are 4 inches that should be in the cup size, so no wonder people think anything over DD should be huge.
- Do not measure your ‘overbust’ cause really what the fuck does that have to do with how large you are underneath your boobs, come on
- Do not do the above because 80% of the support comes from the band, which needs to be firm against you and not be sliding or moving around.Would you wear underwear 4 inches bigger than your hips? No, so why would you wear a bra band 4 inches bigger than your ribcage that gets pulled up and stuff and would fall off if not for the straps, while expecting it to support the boobies at the same time?
- Do not go down a band size and then forget to go up a cup size or two. Again, cup sizes are not static. A 30FF is the same cup volume as a 32F or E. If you don’t do this, no shit the bra will fit badly or feel tight.
- Do not go straight to Victoria’s Secret or La Senza or whatever, even if you are lucky enough to fit in their small range of sizes – they don’t seem to follow sizing very well. Still, try, by all means, but be aware that their bras may be odd compared to others.
"But where do I get these Bras? I’ve never even seen these sizes!“
Luckily, the internet makes this shit really easy. Buying bras online is nearly always way cheaper, even with shipping, and even if coming from somewhere in Europe! But of course, its best to try on stuff first, to avoid the hassle of return shipping (even though its still not that expensive – just annoying). So what I advise is to find a store near you, try stuff on there, note down the Brand, Model, and Size, and then buy it online for up to a quarter of of the in-store price.
If you can’t find a store near you, online ordering is still extremely cheap, even with return shipping. Instead of getting a whole bunch of bras in only 1 size each, pick out a few models and order a few sizes of each. Ex: one with a bigger or smaller band if your measurements are close to needing a bigger or smaller band size, and then some up or down a couple cup sizes so you can compare the fit. When you have the perfect fit in one bra, it will be easier to go on Bratabase or r/ABraThatFits and have them suggest bras that give similar shape or suggest a different size to you as a model you’re interested in may run large or small.
So, Where to Find:
- Note: You can find proper-sized bras as low as 10$ US online (particularly from ebay or brastop.com) and most average 30-45$.
- List of Online Retailers from BustyResourcesWiki: A complete list of online retailers around da world. Many ship internationally so take a look at all of them (particularly the UK ones)
- Ebay, Etsy, and Amazon all have bras inexpensively.
- List of Offline Retailers from BustyResourcesWiki: List of chain-stores (not of privately owned stores)
- If in Canada, look for a Change Lingerie near you to try on bras. Note that they only carry their own brand.
- If in the USA, look for a Nordstrom or Nordstrom Rack near you to try on bras. They carry all sorts of brands and have an online store as well (and also ship to Canada!)
- Use a store locator from the webpage of a bra brand company to find non-chain, privately owned stores – if they have one of these brands, they’ll have others. Here’s the locator for Freya, Curvy Kate, Fantasie, Chantelle, Panache, and Affinitas. There are more than just these of course.
- If you are small in the band AND in the cup (under a D cup) look at the Little Bra Company.
- Ask around on Bratabase or r/ABraThatFits for stores near you.
- WOMAN, YOU HAVE THE INTERNET! GOOGLE! YELP!
WARNING: There are many chain stores (Nordstrom, Lane Bryant, Mark and Spencer, Change etc) that do bra fittings and have a good reputation. However, each store is different – some measure correctly, and some use the stupid VS method. Every store has a different team of employees and knowledge. DO NOT GO IN WITHOUT HAVING MEASURED YOURSELF FIRST, JUST IN CASE THEY ARE ONE OF THE BAD STORES. DO NOT TRUST ALL BRA FITTERS, EVEN IF SOMEONE RECOMMENDED THEM TO YOU. If your fitter gives you a measurement different from this one, be mentally prepared to have a difficult time getting them to help you find the right bra.
I had the fitter at Change help me, and when I mentioned that the gore did not tack, she said “Oh, the gore never touches the chest with these bras”. I was like HAHA NOPE BRING ME A LARGER CUP WOMAN. And lo and behold, 2 extra cup sizes later, the gore tacked (and my boobs stopped spilling out). She was very nice otherwise but if I hadn’t known better that could have been bad.
- r/ABraThatFits: forum for bras, they will help you with sizing, fitting, and finding the right model for your breast shape – they have links to a lot of resources, such as online stores, used bra listings, etc.
- Busty Resources Wiki: Great resource for fitting tips, diagrams, explanations, styles.
- Bra Band Project: an online gallery of what various sizes look like! Dump your disbelief!
- List of Online Retailers: Online is MUCH cheaper and shipping is usually cheap too, even from Europe. Try bras in a store near you , pick out what you like, and order them online instead.
- Bratabase: Database of bras, with user inputted measurements of each bra model in its size – bras may be marked the same size, but with this you can see which may have bigger or smaller bands or cups, or what style may suit what shape of breast, all of which helps find the perfect fit for you!
- Great Youtube Video on Bra Fitting: This is one of the few people on Youtube who knows their shit about bras. Great for the visuals to help you understand what a bad fit and proper fit look like.
- Venusian Glow is a great bra blog – SO MUCH INFO. Suggests bras based on your boob shape amongst other things.
Reblogging to pass this information on.
I have seen many patients with back pain that could have been helped with properly fitting bras.