I started thinking absently about Steve Rogers’ jogging route during my run today and then i couldn’t STOP thinking about it because there’s literally NO WAY it makes sense unless you accept that he is specifically fucking up his entire morning routine to get another look at the cute boy he clocked on his run. I got home and started to make a post about it but it was like
so you’re just going to have to trust me
Enough people asked me to Get Into This that, you know what, fine. Let’s get into it. Under the cut please enjoy my doctoral dissertation, There Is No Carol In HR, or Captain America Is a Big Ol’ Creep and I Can Prove It with Maps.
READ THE WHOLE THING IT’S SO BEAUTIFUL I’M CRYING
seems adamant not to change with the times. Coming under fire for a
lack of diversity, the treatment of female characters, the failure to
deliver films that push the boundaries, The Powers That Be at Marvel
have done the minimal to try and placate fans. But it’s not good enough,
and people are really starting to notice.
Finally an article discussing the true face of Marvel Studios and their executive decisions. No fan pleasing platitudes here, just a pull of the curtain to face some hard truths: They need to do better.
I hate to be that person to comment unnecessarily on a post, but please actually read this article. It absolutely NAILS Marvel and it’s about high time. Please read it, it is infinitely more than worth the time it takes (which is already about two minutes so…)
Everyone needs to read this now.
Wow. Somebody hit the nail on the head. Well said.
“And if you have any doubts by this point it’s actually the Big Boys at
Marvel who are unlikely to support diversity just know that their CEO
recently gave 1 Million to Trump’s campaign for the White House. Yeah…
that’s where our movie ticket money went.” (my emphasis)
Seriously: read this article.
but a romantic, gay relationship between Peggy and her friend Angie was something Marvel recoiled from; Angie was removed, new male love interests were introduced, the plot suffered, fan interest plummeted, and the show went under.
Someone was paying attention to what happened with Agent Carter
love that movie civil war for the way it Nails the clash between people’s external reads on tony vs The Truth
– backstage MIT people ready to kiss tony’s ass like he wants a fanfare and parades in his honor when really he’s looking for random excuses to ditch the adulation and leave through the back door
– mrs spencer thinking tony won’t give a shit about her son when in reality her struggle becomes a key factor pushing him to the accords
– steve assuming pepper was pregnant, like this guy heads off into the horizon and people assume happiness and then tony’s pretty much like “actually no i am Miserable” in not so many words
– “you alright?” “always,” tony answers, fucking literally clutching his own chest after almost non-successfully talking ross out of approaching steve with a killing squad
– scott lang like “this is your conscience, we don’t talk a lot these days” when in the beginning of the movie tony literally has an “it helps ease my conscience” line i’m just fuckinG
– natasha like “are you incapable of letting go of your ego for one god damn second” literally 1 milisecond before pointing out herself that ross & co practically have tony on a leash and he literally spent the entire movie begging
– tony being like “i was wrong” and sam, who presumably barely ever talked to tony responding like “that’s a first” when he clearly doesn’t hold steve to the same “openly admitting i’m wrong” requirements and like lmao tony was actually The First to say “i was wrong” in the movie and like literally his first scene has him standing in front of an audience like “have a live sneak peak of a MOMENT I REGRET”
bonus points for doing that without compromising the characterization of the IM1 guy who came out of the cave ready to make OPEN HONEST AND PUBLIC AMENDS the guy whose first “back from captivity” press conference speech starts with an honest and personal comment about his incomplete relationship with his father, and moves on to an admission of guilt. the guy who went up in front of journalists and said he wasn’t the hero type because of all his character defects, this guy, My Guy, the guy who has a deleted (WHY) line about how reputations stick with you and he was never entirely comfortable with his, My Guy, My Tony Stark, is finally Back, complete with the tragic Struggles of a reputation he can’t free himself from even though he will Fucking tell you In Person, with minimal prompting, that his conscience is Heavy
Just because someone stumbles, loses their way… it doesn’t mean they’re lost forever.
OK. Some people want to make the boycott larger. That’s not going to work. Here is why.
When a large company like Marvel or Disney sees a drop in revenue they’re going to want to know where and why. If you are indiscriminate in where you boycott they’ll see a drop of revenue across the board and not know what it is you are boycotting or why. If they specifically see a drop in revenue based on something very specific they’ll get the message.
My opinion here is to just boycott the Captain America book or anything Nick Spencer writes. Make the missing revenue obvious. If you subscribe to a digital service that sends you the comic cancel that service. They’ll ask you why you are cancelling. Tell them that you are cancelling because of what Nick Spencer and Tom Brevoort did to Captain America and his legacy.
My point here is that you can’t send a message if you are non-specific.