This was apparently Deforest Kelley’s favorite picture of himself…
#A list of things I adore about this scene:#1. Christine Chapel is the real ruler of Sickbay and Bones is super chill about it#2. Christine Chapel chucks Bones under the bus as ‘bad cop’ with such ease that we can assume it happens like all of the time#3. She then proceeds to not inform Bones that she’s done this which means that#Bones has zero clue why certain ensigns he’s met maybe twice flee at the sight of him#‘your crew is full of maniacs’ he tells Jim watching Yeoman Martinez break into stutters and literally run away#Two decks down Christine Chapel looks Chekov in the eye and says#‘I once saw Doctor McCoy hunt down and tranquilize a man to give him his vaccinations. The captain still has the scars.#You better just let me give you the shots now’#Star Trek#TOS#Christie Chapel#Bones McCoy
*photo used with permission of both the photographer and the editor.
Our formothers worked hard for their fic.
[my Firefox/Google spell check has “forefathers” but not “foremothers.” Surprise.]
NASA scientists have reported that they’ve successfully tested an engine called the electromagnetic propulsion drive, or the EM Drive, in a vacuum that replicates space. The EM Drive experimental system could take humans to Mars in just 70 days without the need for rocket fuel, and it’s no exaggeration to say that this could change everything.
But before we get too excited (who are we kidding, we’re already freaking out), it’s important to note that these results haven’t been replicated or verified by peer review, so there’s a chance there’s been some kind of error. But so far, despite a thorough attempt to poke holes in the results, the engine seems to hold up.
Well, I for one am getting my hopes up.
Star Trek: Classic Fanzine Fics and Much Much More
Orion Press Orion has been around since the late seventies publishing everything from fiction, interviews, lost crips, fanart and so much more.
Scotpress A UK fanzine started in the mid seventies and has gone through a few incarnations but this website is an archive of fics from all three zines.
TrekTales A site deticated to collecting fanfiction from classic fanzines. As well as housing fics from a more recent time period.
Gloria’s Fanfiction Started writing trek fic in the 1980′s. Her Kirk and Spock fics are amazing. They’re friendship/brotherhood but can be read as slash.
A Trekkies Tale Where the term Mary Sue came from. A parody work.
KS Commentary on TOS Funny review of various episodes with K/S goggles on. Enjoyable even for those who don’t subscribe to that pairing.
Ad Astra Founded in 2009 and houses almost 2000 star trek tales.
Djiin’s Lair Started in 2004, has a wide range of different fics with pairings and gen.
K/S Archive Self explanatory. The grand daddies of Slash Fiction. Houses more than 8000 K/S fics.
Ster J’s Fics Mostly slash but some gems in there too.
Nesabj Their site is down but some fics are now on FF
Great Trek Novel Recs
You can find lots at your local second hand bookstore or just borrow them from the library! But if you like star trek books, read them!
• Any/All of the Movie Novels. Especially the Motion Picture which is by Roddenberry himself and I quite liked the one from the Voyage Home. You get to learn a bit more of the character’s inner lives post Khan.
• Collision Course. Yes it’s by Shatner, yes you should read it. Come on, teenage Kirk and Spock? Space Detective times? And wtf is going on with Sarek?
• Sand and Stars By Diane Duane. It’s two books in one but two books you should definitely read, especially if you like Vulcan and Spock.
• Mind Shadow and Black Fire Both Spock centric but very good.
• The First Adventure There was a discussion about this recently on tumblr. A novel where Spock rides a flying horse. Also features a monkey in a starfleet uniform and cat people. Its set during, well the Enterprise’s first adventure. Kirk has to escort a circus trope across the Stars. Features most if not all of the classic crew members. And we learn a bit more about those we don’t see often.
• Uhura’s Song An Uhura centric novel with some of the most amazing world building I’ve read. One of the character’s is a bit Mary Sueish but it works, especially in the end.
• Anything by Vonda N Mcintyre
• The Log Entries There are about 10 in the series and the are adaptions on animated episodes. By Alan Dean Foster.
• Essentials Stories anyone and everyone should read: (x)
There is so much more but many sites are now down. I found most of these back in days when I first got into the fandom and searched them out for you guys to enjoy. And enjoy them while you can, many might not be around for much longer.
“where did this weird trope even come from?”
well, statistically speaking, probably star trek
my headcanon for startrek is that humans look, to vulcans, like a dog frathouse. like signing on to a human ship is exactly that thrillingly loud and frustrating and fast and stupid and fun. the humans are going to dash off to a new sector to see if there are friends there and then they will jump up and down with delight and stuff their faces up against their new friends’ genital array. the humans are going to bark for ten minutes at a rock. the humans want to chase things they can’t possibly catch just because they like running around. the humans are madly passionate about their arbitrary group identities. the humans can be divided into new arbitrary group identities which they will then be passionate about. the humans want to stick their heads out of the window of their starship and go ‘wheee!’. if you step on a human’s paw they will act like you just killed them for about thirty seconds and then want more headpats. the humans can be immediately distracted from crucial duties by the appearance of a small animal. if you howl all the humans in earshot will howl louder just to show off. a human just humped your leg. ‘don’t make it weird bro’ the human says. later the human will dig a weird bug out of the ground and eat it.
So funny…but yet, so true. THIS is exactly what Mr. Spock’s eyebrow was saying, all along.
“Jim Kirk humped my leg, and other stories from Starfleet”